Well it is not quite summer but October is upon us and what is better way to celebrate than with a summer love salad!
Summer love salad is your perfect recipe when you want a salad that is a bit special but not at all complicated or fussy. It is quick to prepare and looks great served in a shallow bowl or spread out on a platter.
The creamy boccocini pairs well with the fresh asparagus and spinach and the strawberries and mint bring the summer vibe. However it is the caramelised macadamia nuts that are hands down the hero of the dish. Take your time mastering the caramelising process of the nuts as once you have this trick up your sleeve you will be able to make any salad exciting.
Change it up
You can serve the summer love salad as a small entree in a small bowl or slate board for a light start to a meal. Summer love salad is also great to pair with tasty barbecue meat – my favourite is some lovely marinated lamb steaks.
What will you pair with your summer love salad?
SUMMER LOVE SALAD
- ½ cup macadamia nuts halved.
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups spinach washed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 asparagus spears
- 12 strawberries halved
- 6 boccocini quartered
- ¼ cup mint chopped
- 1 Tbsp balsamic glaze
- Place macadamia nuts in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry until they begin to brown then add the sugar and salt. Stir for approximately 1 minute or until sugar has dissolved and turned dark golden brown. Place nuts on a sheet of baking paper to cool.
- Place spinach in a large bowl and toss with olive oil.
- Remove ends and woody pieces from asparagus spears. Place asparagus in bowl with a little water and microwave for 1 min or until bright green and just tender. Run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Slice diagnoally.
- Top spinach with nuts, asparagus, strawberries, boccocini, mint and drizzle with balsamic glaze.