This post first appeared over at Eazy Peazy Mealz as Baked Shrimp Pea and Lemon Risotto where I’m a contributor.
Succulent prawns, fresh peas and zesty lemon with creamy rice – this Baked Prawn and Pea Risotto is the perfect weeknight family meal which also happens to be super easy to prepare!
Wow what a crazy whirlwind week it has been! We Made the long journey to New York City for my brother Scott’s wedding and he is now officially married to his lovely Kate! It was a sensational party and was so great to spend family time celebrating in such a fun way. Little rest now in Hawaii before home.
So here’s a little recipe I prepared earlier!!! If you haven’t tried making a baked risotto before you won’t believe how easy it is – no constant stirring at the stove top – once the onions and leek are browned you just pop it in the oven and it takes care of itself!
Peas and Prawns are the main heroes of this dish with onions, leek and lemon zest providing a great flavour base. This baked prawn risotto dish is finished with sour cream and parsley. It is up to you whether you would like to serve some freshly grated parmesan cheese with your baked prawn risotto – traditionally the Italians say you don’t serve seafood and parmesan cheese together but hey, you don’t usually bake risotto either, so add it if you like!
Baked prawn risotto makes a great weeknight family meal but I think it is also special enough to serve for guests too. It is fabulous as leftovers the next day for lunch either hot or cold. If you don’t have quite enough risotto left over why not add some cherry tomatoes and spinach leaves?
PRAWN AND PEA RISOTTO
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 leek white part only, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice short grain
- 4 ½ cups hot vegetable stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined raw prawns
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsps fresh parsley chopped plus extra to garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit/ 180 degrees celsius.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan (or a dish that can go from stove top to oven) and cook onion and leek for 3 minutes or until soft and lightly browned. Add lemon zest and cook for an additional minute.
- Place onion mixture in an oven proof dish. Add rice and hot stock.
- Place a lid or alfoil on top of the dish and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove risotto from oven and gently stir through peas and place prawns on top of risotto making sure they are slightly submerged.
- Return risotto to oven, covered, for a further 10 minutes or until prawns are cooked.
- Remove from oven and allow risotto to sit for a couple of minutes. There should still be some liquid in the risotto when cooking is complete - add extra hot water if it looks dry.
- Stir through lemon juice, sour cream and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with extra parsley
Are there any other ingredients you would like to see in a baked risotto?
Why not pin for later?