Decadent yet healthy, poached coconut chicken quinoa is a great dish to put together on a busy weeknight.
I love the tenderness of poached coconut chicken – It is the perfect way to cook a chicken breast to ensure it will not be too dry. Kaffir lime and fish sauce give the coconut milk a depth of flavour which will surprise you given the short cooking time. The quinoa provides the perfect base to soak up the creamy coconut milk and the raw snow peas and capsicum provide a fresh crunch.
You can use any type of quinoa for this recipe – I prefer the tri coloured for this dish as it contrasts nicely with the white chicken and coconut milk. You may like to add some other salad ingredients such as cherry tomatoes or sliced raw cabbage
Make some tasty wraps for lunch using leftover poached coconut chicken and quinoa, salad leaves, sliced tomatoes and sprouts wrapped up in your favourite pitta or lavosh bread.
POACHED COCONUT CHICKEN WITH QUINOA
- 1 cup tri-coloured quinoa
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 free range chicken breasts
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 1 400 ml tin coconut milk
- ½ Tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 4 leaves kaffir lime torn
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 small red capsicum sliced
- 12 snow peas sliced
- 1 large handful coriander chopped
- Optional: 1 handful roasted cashews and sliced fresh red chilli to serve
- Place quinoa and water in a saucepan, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for approximately 12 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile slice chicken breasts to create 2 thin pieces of chicken. Heat oil in a small frying pan over high heat. Fry chicken pieces for one minute each side until browned.
- Add coconut milk to frying pan and reduce heat. Add sweet chilli sauce and ginger and stir to combine with coconut milk.
- Add kaffir lime leaves and simmer 8 minutes or until chicken in cooked through. Stir occasionally to ensure coconut sauce does not stick to pan. Remove from heat and stir through fish sauce.
- Stir half of the warm coconut sauce through quinoa. Place quinoa on plates and top with capsicum and snow peas.
- Slice chicken diagonally and place on top of quinoa. Spoon over extra coconut sauce and top with coriander.
- Add cashews and fresh chilli if desired.