Frangelico chocolate mousse is the decadent and indulgent dessert you know you deserve!
Don’t get me wrong, I love me a raw dessert – cashews instead of cream, coconut oil and cacao instead of chocolate etc. etc. but sometimes you just want the real deal don’t you? Well make no mistake this frangelico chocolate mousse is the real deal – chocolate, cream and liqueur – does it get any better?? Well yes, actually it does if you serve it with roasted hazelnuts, blueberries and a glass of Frangelico!
Frangelico is a hazelnut flavoured liqueur which is very sweet and works really well in desserts. You could substitute it for another sweet liqueur like Kahlua or Cointriaeu if you prefer.
Mousse is a great dessert to make ahead of time and is relatively quick as it does not require cooking.
Below are a list of tips to help make your mousse amazing:
- Choose good quality dark chocolate – I like Lindt or Old Gold;
- Ensure your base chocolate mixture is smooth with no lumps;
- Do not overbeat the egg whites or the cream – you want them both airy and fluffy without being stiff;
- Take your time to gently fold the egg whites and cream through the mixture;
- Choose cute glasses or bowls to serve your mousse in; and
- Be creative with your garnishes – Go traditional with extra cream and shaved chocolate or mix it up with berries, pomegranate seeds, roasted nuts or mint leaves.
Frangelico chocolate mousse if a great way to finish off a meal at a dinner party. I love to pair it with a relatively healthy and light main and I like to serve just enough to leave everyone wanting more! Find some lovely glasses or dishes to serve your mousse in – I have used martini glasses, port glasses, ramekins and even tea light holders for this mousse. I like to serve the Frangelico chocolate mousse with some roasted hazelnuts and fresh blueberries but you can decide on another garnish if you prefer.
FRANGELICO CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
- 125 g dark chocolate
- 2 egg yolks
- 50 ml Frangelico liqueur
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 150 ml whipping cream
- Roasted hazelnuts and blueberries to serve
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering water, ensuring bowl does not touch the water.
- Whisk in egg yolks one at a time to create a thick chocolate mixture.
- Whisk in Frangelico until smooth.
- In a clean bowl whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Whisk in the caster sugar in 2 batches, mixing well after each addition.
- Add half of egg white mixture to chocolate mixture and fold carefully through. Add remaining egg whites and fold through.
- In a clean bowl whisk cream until fluffy but not stiff.
- Add to chocolate mixture and fold carefully through until just combined.
- Place in glasses or jars and allow to set in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Top with roasted hazelnuts and blueberries before serving