Sweet roasted pumpkin sprinkled with flavour – my chilli and lime roasted pumpkin with yoghurt dressing is the ideal side dish to make any meal a bit special!
I think it is a good idea to have a few tasty vegetable side dishes up your sleeve to turn any meal into a special one. Roasted pumpkin is a universal favourite I think it is fair to say, and I have made it a bit fancy with a yoghurt sauce and some tasty toppings!
You can use any pumpkin you like for this dish – I like to use Kent pumpkin for it’s intense flavour and because it is easy to cut into nice curved pieces . If you use a pumpkin with softer skin like a Jap pumpkin you may like to leave the skin on for roasting. Don’t worry about getting the pieces too thin – they need to be thick enough to still hold their shape after being roasted. Just ensure you are very careful with your knife as you cut the pieces.
My chilli and lime roasted pumpkin is served with a yoghurt dressing flavoured with mint and lime juice. The pumpkin has fried chilli pieces, lime zest and sesame seeds sprinkled on top to add both flavour and texture.
This chilli and lime roasted pumpkin is fabulous served with a juicy steak or some lovely lamb cutlets. You could also serve it with several other small dishes for more of a “share plate” style of meal. However you serve it don’t count on leftovers!
What other vegetables would you like to have an awesome recipe for to make them just a bit more special?
- 2 Tbsps sesame seeds
- 1 kg/ 2lb piece of pumpkin (I used kent pumpkin)
- Olive oil for drizzling
- ½ tsp cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp grated lime zest to serve
- ½ cup yoghurt
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint, plus extra leaves to garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius/ 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place sesame seeds on an oven try and baked in the oven 10 minutes or until browned.
- Meanwhile peel and deseed pumpkin and slice to create curved pieces.
- Place pumpkin on a tray lined with baking paper, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven 40 minutes or until pumpkin is browned.
- Heat a dash of olive oil in a frying pan. Add chopped chilli and fry for one minute or until browned. Remove from pan.
- To make yoghurt dressing combine all ingredients together and mix well.
- Arrange pumpkin on a plate or serving dish. Drizzle with dressing. Top with chilli, lime zest and sesame seeds.
- Garnish with mint leaves.